Thursday 20 September 2018

A Celtic Poem

The Mystery
by
Amergin Glúingel

I am the wind which breathes upon the sea, I am the wave of the ocean,
I am the murmur of the billows, I am the ox of the seven combats,
I am the eagle upon the rocks, I am the beam of the sun,
I am the fairest of plants, I am the wild boar in valour,
I am a salmon in the water, I am a lake in the plain,
I am a word of knowledge, I am the head of the spear in battle,
I am the god who puts fire in the head.
Who spreads light into the gathering on the mountain?
Who announces the ages of the moon?
Who teaches the place where the sun rests?
(If not I) 

http://www.ndoylefineart.com/celticpoems.html

Amergin Glúingel is a character in the Irish Mythological Cycle. He is said to have been one of the 'seven sons of Míl Espáine' who overthrew the Tuatha dé Danann, and were given permission to settle in Ireland by the wives of the Tuatha dé Danann (Eriu, Fódla and Banba). The Song of Amergin (also known as 'The Mystery') was used against the magical storm that the Tuatha dé Danann had created in order to bring the Milesian ship safely to land. Amergin was subsequently appointed Chief Ollam by his two brothers, Eber and Eremon, whom he made, respectively, Kings of the south and of the north of the island.

I have chosen to share this poem/song here on my blog both because of its vivid imagery and because of the story of its use in parting the storm: it is a great reminder of the fact that words do have power. It is also a moving description of Godde in our midst - in the elements of earth, air, fire, and water, in people and animals and fish and birds, in the sun, moon, and stars, in our strengths and in our vulnerability, in our independence and in our need of each other and of Godde. Also, the Song reminds me of the passage towards the end of the Book of Job, where Godde asks 'Where were you when I laid the earth's foundations?'

I have tried to find the words of the Breton poem/song Ar-Rannou, also known as Les Series, one of the Barzhah Breizh (Ballads of Brittany - barzh = bard) collected by Théodore Hersart de la Villemarqué, which recounts a dialogue between a Druid and his pupil, including details about Korrigans, but so far without success, other than the first verse:

Druid: My pretty, my white child of the Druid, pretty one, what do you want? Of what shall I sing?
Child: Sing to me the cycle of the number one, until I have learned it for today.
Druid: There is no cycle for the number one, only the unique need, Ankou the bringer of death, the father of pain, nothing before, nothing more.

You can hear it here:


No comments:

Post a Comment