Thursday 20 September 2018

Two questions about Norse culture and Christianity

Question: In your opinion, why did the Christians conquer the Norse, take over their culture and infuse a new system of belief? And why did the people of Europe accept Christianity as opposed to their own heritage.

The Norse Heithni culture was one of community and kin, the maintenance and health of which was the basis for their system of ethics. The people relied on one another and, especially, on their chieftain and other leaders.

This would have presented a challenge to Christianity, which, although in some ways community-based, is about the individual's dependence on God and the priests of God who (inappropriately in my view) acted as intermediaries. Since the Christians believed their Way was the Only Way (which is just plain Wrong) they had to break down the old ways. One might hope that their motive was not political, but spiritual: that they truly believed in the necessity of accepting 'Christ' as 'The Saviour'.

The people of the North may have been convinced by their arguments, or they may have seen how the two belief systems could dove-tail, or they may have been ready for new expressions, especially if there was some/any disillusion with the old ways/leaders. And there is likely to have been very strong pressure to convert, including the threat of death.


Question: Is it possible to be a Christian AND practice the older religion of the Teutons, Celts or other pre-Christian “pagan” peoples?

This is an interesting question, with no one answer, and no 'right' answer. I don't think it would be possible for some Christians to also practice the older religion - those literalist, fundamentalist Christians who believe there is only One Way, theirs. I am glad that I have never held that view - although there have been moments when I've envied their certainties!

Not wishing to speak for anyone else, I would say this: I was born into a church-going family, with a strong Christian heritage on both paternal and maternal sides. I have honoured that heritage, and it has been the matrix through which I have developed my spiritual self. I am an ordained and experienced Christian minister of Word and Sacrament (and Pastoral Care, although that is sadly not part of the 'title').

However, I believe that the purpose of religion - any and all religion - is to help us to lead the fullest life possible as a human being - which includes our spiritual selves as well as what we define as emotional, mental, and physical - although of course all are inter-mingled, and one could add other aspects too, such as social, for example.
Christianity is my starting point, it is my roots as I know them, but not in any exclusive way. My 'definition' of my own 'Christianity' is much at variance with a lot of doctrine and dogma: I try to follow the Way of Jesus, especially in his command to love and to serve, and to know that Godde is here and now. There is nothing in any of that which would exclude the possibility of practising any of the older religions, and there is so much in them that calls to me. However, I'm not sure that the pick-and-mix approach is a good one - it is a bit too self-serving.

What I have continued to do since my teenage years is to find the commonalities between different belief-systems, and to honour other people's faith as much as I hope they respect mine.

Godde has many faces, and there are many paths that lead us to Godde. There is only one Godde, and Godde is One.

No comments:

Post a Comment